Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wal-Mart Blues

Was walking in a store searching for things,
Needed face paint, a sandwich, and some batteries.
Four of us walkin’.
Checking out women.
All those blue jeans.

We found everything we’d driven there for.
I was telling jokes and feeling like an apple core.
All used up.
No sign of the worm.
Disenchanted.

So I had an idea and I puffed up my chest
And walked up to a lady in a big red vest.
Said I need directions.
Need a product.
Can’t find it.

And her pretty face lit up and she gave me a smile,
Then gave a glance to those friends of mine in the aisle.
Said that’s my job.
What I’m here for.
Let’s see what you need.

I said I don’t know if you’ve got it here,
I want to give our lives a big old mirror.
Looking for ethics.
Eugene Debs.
Paul Farmer.

And you should have seen the look on her face
As she looked all around our concrete maze.
Don’t have those here.
Too expensive.
Most don’t want ‘em.
So sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment