Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Autobiography no. 7

“Why are you here?”
I said.

Two thousand and sixty years ago, Gaius Julius Caesar the Dictator was killed
with knives as he made his way to the floor of the Senate.

I don’t know if she knew or cared about any of that
but it was two in the morning and she kept pouring Scotch into my glass
although her restaurant had been closed for four hours
while we sat on barstools with most of the lights blanked out.

She asked why I was there and I looked at her cheekbones
and the sharp curve of her teeth as she smiled
and I told her I was around because no one had kicked me out yet.

“Why are you here?”
I said.

At certain moments she would breathe sharply as if possessed by an idea
or a windstorm and I thought that I should try to kiss her,
but I waited long enough for her to drive away.

No comments:

Post a Comment